Backgammon (a game)



Backgammon is a two player board game with relations to chess but older. Each player has 15 pieces of checkers. The backgammon set is made up of a board, 2 pairs of dice, it doubling cube and dice cups.
The checkers are moved between 24 triangles (points) according  to the roll of the 2 dice. The winner emerges as the first to move all of his/her checkers off the board.
It's one of the oldest board games with traces to historical use about 5000 years ago in the middle East and Europe. This feature of Backgammon makes me think of it's first players, there are so many things that humans create but not so much last.
Just like Ludo, backgammon requires strategy and luck from getting good number pairs at each dice roll.
Software has been developed for the game to beat the standard of physical human players though it encourage inter human plays.

Like every other game, backgammon has a set of rules directing setup and movement of checkers. Cheating is frowned on and caught both on the board and software.
The game is related to gambling (i.e being played for money) and this makes it's tournament illegal in some countries. However it has a place in world tournaments.

I have played ludo, Monopoly, Ayò (our own ancient game)...,but Backgammon is more of a foreign concept. The fact that the game requires tact like Ludo is relatable, I will like to play the game someday...you will be my game partner I promise not to overbeat you 😂. 

Comments

  1. Well I've played it before in my previous life, and I still have the skill set, so don't think you can beat me😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we'll play soon.. Well done..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts